Construction Project Manager
- Posted 17 May 2023
- LocationTaiwan ROC
- Job type Permanent
- Reference 1545820
Paid Parental Leave
Return to Work Policy
Flexible Working Arrangements
Leadership Development Program
Raise Numbers Of Women In Leadership
Internal Women's Networking Group
Equal Pay Initiatives
Cloud Operations + Innovation is the team behind the cloud. Within CO+I, Datacenter Construction Delivery (DCD) is responsible for delivering datacenter capacity for Microsoft’s cloud business meeting all safety, quality, sustainability, schedule, and budget requirements. The DCD Construction Managers (DCD-PMs) supervise the General Contractors (GC), the major Sub-Contractors, commissioning and integration-related tasks to make all this possible.
The role of the DCD Project Manager for Taiwan requires strong leadership, interpersonal, communication and organizational skills. We are seeking a DCD Project Manager with the ability to self-direct and who has a strong background in Project Management. A rich background in the development of projects in phases, design, engineering, controls, and operations is a requirement, with an emphasis on safe construction management and worker welfare. He or she must be able to manage complex, multi-disciplinary, multi-million-dollar datacenter construction projects in parallel across the Taiwan Metros.
In alignment with our Microsoft values, we are committed to cultivating an inclusive work environment for all employees to positively impact our culture every day.
10+ years of progressive responsibility in development of complex capital projects.
Bachelor’s Degree OR equivalent experience in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering, Construction Project Management, or Construction Management.
Experience managing multiple large multi-faceted projects.
Strong verbal and written communication skills.
Ability to influence cross-discipline teams.
Construction health & safety knowledge.
Strong bi-lingual (Chinese/English) verbal and written communication skills.
Prior experience in datacenter construction.
The DCD Project Manager is responsible for the planning & execution of multiple, concurrent, and large construction projects including Microsoft builds and lease datacenters (both greenfield & fit out). The role must provide organizational rigor and discipline to frame project risk and manage the impacts of change. As such, the DCD Project Manager holds internal and vendor Project Managers and partner project teams accountable for safe, ethical, timely accomplishment of deliverables, provide guidance and ensure corrective actions are taken as necessary plus monitor metrics, and report progress and challenges. The role will also proactively monitor internal and external environment to anticipate opportunities to improve on safety, quality, schedule, and cost including taking accountability for predictable schedule delivery and financial outcomes of active projects. He or she will partner with general contractors and lessors to drive collaborative planning and safety focus/improvement initiatives into construction projects as core value.
The DCD Project Manager will work directly for DCD Regional Director (NEA) and support the strategic and tactical delivery of datacenter projects in the region. He or she will access the construction industry and the broader business environment to account for market conditions to provide and evolve regional delivery mechanisms that are tuned to the prevailing industry conditions. The role also communicates priorities and drives consistent best practice across construction sites in region.
The DCD Project Manager:
• Drives Data Center construction/integration activities on local/campus projects (e.g., new or retrofit Data Center facilities) and provides key input on all Data Center fit-out related activities, leveraging experiences and technical knowledge to ensure sound and data-driven decisions.
• Reviews engineering documentation/designs, site, and building plans by examining and analyzing technical information.
• Identifies potential risks/gaps and makes recommendations to teammates and/or other internal partners.
• Partners with the internal Cloud Operations and Innovations (CO+I), and other Microsoft key stakeholders (e.g., Commercial Software Engineering [CSE], Real Estate and Facilities [RE&F], etc.) and shares updated process flow information with project team to ensure new processes are being followed that increase cost savings and improve overall cycle-time and efficiencies.
• Facilitates the delivery of local projects (e.g., new construction, infrastructure improvements) by making timely data-based decisions in partnership with local project team and stakeholders.
• Champions team and project goals, adhering to business processes, engaging vendor relationships when/where applicable, and fostering cross-group collaboration efforts aligned to the project strategy and milestones.
• Confirms the scoped resources (e.g., people, materials, equipment) are available for the job. Partners with senior construction staff to procure additional materials as needed.
• Provides specific project data supporting cost and key performance indicator (KPI) metrics, invoices, process, and policies in order to communicate status to client partners.
• Reports on project progress regarding scope, schedule, standards, and budget.
• Attends and advises during scheduled owner/architect/contractor and other project meetings.
• Coordinates meetings and activities of vendors and cost managers and attends scheduled owner/architect/contractor and other project meetings.
• Collaborates with internal teams (e.g., Engineering, Procurement, Operations, Compliance & Legal, Commercial, Planning, Land Development, and other project stakeholders) to maintain the corporate vision and goals for the project.
• Represents Microsoft as a safety leader and advocate onsite ensuring adherence to safety standards and regulatory requirements (e.g., Occupational Safety and Health Administration [OSHA], or equivalent) to ensure compliance and aggressive management of risk.
• Conducts routine safety program, project, and contractor audits, and performs and participates in incident investigations.
• Reviews and assists with developing risk mitigation activities and communicating metrics, dashboards and/or scorecards to track and drive progress.
• Analyzes safety metrics and communicates results to leadership to drive action and accountability.
• Assists with the monitoring of vendor and/or contractor performance, ensuring compliance with contracts and prior audit results.
• Reviews vendor performance relative to cash-flow and budget summaries (with cost management team) and clarifies those reports in presentations to the delivery and executive teams.
• Assists with preparing requests for proposals (RFPs), project expenditure requests (PERs), and other project approval tools and templates.
• Applies best practices to identify and incorporate cost-effective solutions to meet project delivery at each site location.
• Applies influence, strategies, and negotiation skills to identify options and recommend solutions.
• Monitors the approved project budget and provides oversight for project controls (e.g., project expenditure requests [PERs], professional services requests [PSRs], change orders, pay applications, etc.).