- Posted 23 October 2023
- Job type Permanent
Leadership Development Program
Paid Parental Leave
Return to Work Policy
Flexible Working Arrangements
Raise Numbers Of Women In Leadership
Internal Women's Networking Group
Equal Pay Initiatives
Learn how “the cloud” works and how to keep it running as an Amazon Web Services (AWS) Capacity Install Trainee. Amazon Web Services (AWS) is looking for a Capacity Installation Technician to join our growing team within infrastructure operations. This is an entry level position and a unique opportunity to work in some of the most innovative and fast paced data centers in the world. By applying to this position you will be considered for all locations we hire for in Osaka, Japan.
At Amazon, everyone is a leader. You are self-motivated and can adapt in a fast-paced environment, that is constantly evolving. You seek to understand how things work and are a problem solver. We have guidelines and processes to follow, and the work requires attention to detail and a desire to find answers. Where there are not answers, you see opportunities to find solutions and make improvements to our processes. If you enjoy working alongside a close-knit and diverse team of leaders, this is the place to be!
About the Role
The Infrastructure Delivery team is responsible for the scaling and physical deployment of new data center infrastructure. As part of that team, the Capacity Install Technician is primarily tasked with installing cables and new racks within the data centers. Working at elevated locations and ladders is part of this role.
This position requires you to be self-starting, highly motivated, able to rigorously follow processes, perform repetitive tasks, and prioritize tasks based on urgency. You must have a genuine interest in learning new skills and working at data center environment.
Your “Day One” starts with a 6-month contract, working from Monday to Friday, 9:00 to 18:00, in our data centers. During this period, you have the opportunity to gain an understanding of data centers and be at the forefront of this transformational technology through hands-on maintenance on the infrastructure equipment - Linux servers and network devices and components. You will work independently or with your colleagues, and also work with the teams that support this infrastructure and the customers that rely on it.
As you receive on-the-job training, gain cross-functional, transferable skills, and establish yourself as a knowledgeable, efficient technician, your contract can be extended or become a full-time Capacity Install Technician position. You will find opportunities to expand within the team and the organization. Just as technology is constantly advancing, AWS continually evolves and encourages all Amazonians to exceed the expectations of our customers.
Key job responsibilities
* Install, test, troubleshoot fiber, copper and UTP cables
* Install transceivers, patch panels, network and server hardware
* Basic build and troubleshooting of network devices and servers
* Creating and attaching labels and barcodes
* Regularly lift 40lbs or move heavy objects into position
* Work at heights and from ladders
* Work in environments with varying temperatures and noise levels that are typical of data center facilities
* Overseeing cabling vendors
* Manage work and priorities through ticketing system
* Maintain accurate records and document problems and processes to successfully draft and execute changes within data centers
* Move equipment from loading docks into planned positions
* Travel within geographical work area is required; some travel outside traditional work area may be requested
* Seek out ways to improve processes
We are open to hiring candidates to work out of one of the following locations:
* Strong interest in infrastructure technology and eagerness to work in a data center environment
* Ability to follow workplace safety and security policies
* Intermediate English speaking and writing ability
* Intermediate knowledge of Microsoft Excel
* Experience handling computer hardware and components
* Familiarity with network cable types
* Tactical judgement and analytical skills, ability to prioritize tasks based on fluctuating needs
* Familiarity with common networking terms
* Bachelors Degree (BA or BS) or equivalent experience
* Above average knowledge of Microsoft Excel
* Proven knowledge of TCP/IP networking, cabling, optic types, and test equipment such as VFL, power meter, and OTDR
* 2-3+ of experience in a highly dynamic environment
* Broad understanding of infrastructure technologies
* Experience with cabling infrastructure and methodologies
* Experience working in high security environment
* Ability to automate tasks.