- Posted 25 January 2024
- Job type Permanent
Leadership Development Program
Paid Parental Leave
Return to Work Policy
Flexible Working Arrangements
Raise Numbers Of Women In Leadership
Internal Women's Networking Group
Equal Pay Initiatives
Amazon Web Services (AWS) is the world’s most comprehensive and broadly adopted cloud platform. We pioneered cloud computing and never stopped innovating — that’s why customers from the most successful startups to Global 500 companies trust our robust suite of products and services to power their businesses.
Do you enjoy taking an idea and turning it into something? Do you ever find yourself marveling at buildings, infrastructure, or landmarks and ask "what does it take to build something like that?" This new role “Regional Safety Engineer – DCPD” is for an experienced Health and Safety (H&S) Specialist, H&S Engineer, or H&S Manager who will support AWS Data Center Planning and Delivery (DCPD) programs. Internally, you will partner with DCPD teams such as Real Estate, Due Diligence, Permitting, Energy, Water, Pre-Construction, Construction, Commissioning, Security and Procurement Teams to achieve health and safety goals and improve our safety culture. Externally, you will engage with General Contractors and AWS Suppliers to confirm/clarify the business expectations for H&S, and look for ways to continually improve H&S of our contracted services. You will work under the direction of H&S Program Specialists within the assigned region (Americas, Europe Middle East Africa, or Asia Pacific/Japan China).
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at AWS, it’s in our nature to learn and be curious. Our employee-led affinity groups foster a culture of inclusion that empower us to be proud of our differences. Ongoing events and learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences, inspire us to never stop celebrating our uniqueness.
We value work-life harmony. Achieving success at work should never come at the expense of sacrifices at home. Finding purpose and fulfillment is essential across all aspects of our lives, which is why flexible work hours and arrangements are part of our culture. When we feel supported in the workplace and at home, there’s nothing we can’t achieve in the cloud.
Mentorship & Career Growth
We have a career path for you no matter what stage you’re in when you start here. As we strive to become Earth’s Best Employer, we know we must continuously raise our performance bar. That’s why you’ll find endless knowledge-sharing, mentorship and other career-advancing resources here to help you develop into a better-rounded professional.
Key job responsibilities
You will influence program development, framework and strategy but will be responsible for deploying programs that cover H&S elements of leadership, planning, support, operational controls, continuous improvement, performance management, ensure the businesses are operating to jurisdictional requirements, and AWS Safety Management Program (SMP) requirements.
• Review due diligence risk assessments with real estate, preconstruction, construction operations on H&S aspects of the AWS H&S management program to ensure adequate implementation.
• Coordinates with DCPD managers to prioritize H&S in planning and execution in all phases of DCPD projects.
• Ensures & Monitors General Contractors and AWS deployment vendors compliance to onboarding requirements in Avetta.
• Performs campus H&S kickoff sessions, and performs reviews of General Contractor and AWS deployment vendor’s Construction Safety Management Plans
• Documents data and anecdotes in standard reporting tools (Weekly Business Reviews, Monthly Project Reviews) for DCPD and H&S leadership teams
• Manages 3rd party/internal H&S resources on DCPD projects (weekly business reviews, monthly project reviews)
• Identifies improvement opportunities at project(s), and partners with Data Center Health and Safety (DCHS) Operational Team on regional issues that impact construction/operations handover phases.
• Audits projects to the mental model ‘do you have a process, and are you following it?’ Then analyzes data (leading and lagging indicators) for trends, risks/opportunities and reports out at project/regional levels and within governance programs
• Conduct regular site visits with H&S 3rd party resources, construction managers and Data Center Health and Safety Operational teams
• Hosts project and regional specific contractor and internal team H&S kickoff sessions and annual performance review sessions.
A day in the life
You will use data and anecdotes to tactically drive internal customers to manage H&S risks, which includes being an escalation path for issue resolution and managing site-based H&S team members and/or consultants. You will apply your knowledge of the jurisdictional requirements, regional best practices, cultural norms, and location specific characteristics to improve DCPD activities in H&S by jumping in and showing the business “this is what the data is telling us, and this is how it is done” and develop DCPD competencies to enable them ownership of your solutions.
You must be an effective communicator, sending clear, concise and consistent messages verbally, in written form, and/or public speaking forums. You will play a key role in deploying mechanisms that manage H&S, while developing competencies and ownership of H&S in the business. You must have diplomacy, patience and tact to earn trust in relationships to effectively advise, instruct and challenge DCPD teams on H&S.
About the team
You will be integrated with a global network of H&S professionals including program specialists, regional safety managers, and regional safety engineers in operational teams.
We are open to hiring candidates to work out of one of the following locations:
• Experience of 5-7 years’ in health and safety, contractor management, due diligence reviews, contractor safety, program implementation or providing direct oversight for 3rd party services/contractors/consultants
• Bachelor’s or advanced degree in Industrial Hygiene, Occupational Safety and Health, Construction Safety Management, Contractor Health and Safety Management or related field
• Advanced certification through recognized agency/association(s) in occupational health and safety (i.e. BCSP, ASSP, BCRSP, ITC-ILO, IOHS, NEBOSH, SISO, MEM, etc)
• Experience in International Standards Organization standard application such as ISO 9001, ISO 14001, OHSAS 18001, or ISO 45001.
• A builder - not a maintainer in Health and Safety Program management.
• Ability to follow the plan, but dive into ambiguity to sort 'it out', think big, and apply solutions for long term improvement opportunities across a portfolio of projects.
• Use the data and anecdotes to support your efforts and operate to a Plan, Do, Check, Act mentality.
• Experience working with Procore and Avetta software
• Strong analytical skills on leading and lagging data, with problem solving abilities that show results.
• Ability to work with ambiguity and fast-paced environments
• Demonstrated understanding of health and safety regulations for the jurisdiction
• Ability to travel 30-60% domestically & internationally.