DFS is seeking a seasoned legal professional to join as the VP, Legal & Compliance. The incumbent will be based in Hong Kong and report to the General Counsel.
This is an exciting new position created to provide astute and commercially savvy solutions to a wide range of business matters across the globe, particularly those relating to e-commerce and digitalization.
The incumbent will be challenged to take lead on regulatory and compliance issues arising from data privacy and data protection. Depending on the experience of the candidate, this role could also expand job responsibilities to competition law and intellectual property matters.
• 10 years+ post qualification experience including ideally time as an in-house lawyer in a consumer business with an online platform
• Experience with top tier international law firm or multi-national corporation preferable
• Speak fluently in layman's terms to a range of audiences about the business and legal priorities.
• Strong change and project management skills, including the ability to prioritize effectively and handle multiple deadlines
• Marshall the appropriate level and mix of legal resources (internal and external) as required by circumstances
• Excellent communication skills in English
• Advise on and help manage worldwide legal issues affecting the company; be an active contributor to senior management on key legal risks
• Be an active contributor to the company's e-commerce and digitization strategy. Develop cross-functional relationships to evaluate and manage legal and compliance risk solutions for existing and new jurisdictions (e.g. Paris) and new platforms (e.g. WeChat)
• Partner with company's Information Security team and local Data Privacy Officers to enhance company policies on data privacy and protection
• Monitor compliance and data practices internally to ensure DFS' business complies with the applicable requirements, including those under the EU General Data Protection Regulation
• Serve as a contact for regulatory authorities and individuals whose data is held by the group
• Set standards and review policies and procedures globally to meet the requirements in countries of operation
• Raise employee awareness of data privacy and security issues through staff training and other means as appropriate
• Engage external legal advisers and review vendors' contract; responsible for budgeting and cost management