At Jacobs, we’re helping our clients innovate and grow by designing, engineering, and executing the construction of their various facilities that are changing our world.
Our talented experts create exceptional spaces across the world through our creative blending of human need, environmental stewardship, value creation, science, and art. We believe that built environments should reflect the context, history, cultures, communities, and the natural environment while incorporating advances in technology.
We are seeking an experienced and motivated Senior Technology Designer/Engineer to work in a flexible role that includes engineering, design and specification of building technology and communication systems for high profile Science & Technology projects. Work will be performed under supervision of senior staff. EXP’s Technology Design department specializes in the design and specification of structured cabling systems, audio/visual systems, security systems and other Extra Low Voltage (ELV) systems.
- Excellent communication, problem solving, and analytical skills are required. Strong organizational skills and ability to multi-task in support of multiple projects is essential.
- Ability to work virtually and communicate efficiently across geographies with multiple project teams.
- Thorough knowledge of BICSI and AVIXA standards and other codes.
- Thorough understanding and knowledge of the following:
- Structured Cabling Systems (Voice/ Data Cabling)
- Audio/Visual Systems (Background Music/ Overhead Paging Systems, Conference/ Ballroom/ Boardroom A/V and control systems)
- Security Systems (Surveillance Systems, Physical Access Control Systems, Intrusion Detection Systems)
- Other Communication Technology Systems (Nurse Call, Distributed Antenna Systems, Real Time Location Service System, etc)
- Ability to attend client meeting with client stakeholders and architects to discuss project requirements, design concepts and system expectations.
- Understand proper scope of SD, DD, CD level documents – and deliver appropriate documentation.
- REVIT and AutoCAD proficient.
- Edit and develop scope of work narratives (Basis of Design, etc.)
- Develop equipment room sizes during SD and DD phases.
- Prepare calculations of equipment electrical loads and cooling loads.
- Edit low voltage electrical specifications with limited input from senior staff.
- Edit specifications to reflect project requirements.
- Coordinate with vendors to determine specification requirements for application.
- Read and interpret related industry codes and standards (e.g. NEC, FGI), and incorporate into designs.
- Prepare floor plans showing low voltage device layouts, cable pathways, equipment, etc.
- Prepare system riser diagrams with limited input from senior staff.
- Select and schedule equipment with limited oversight from senior staff.
- Performs field verification and take-offs of existing systems for renovation projects.
- Coordinate with other disciplines (MEPFP, Architectural, Structural, etc.)
- Understand and properly apply existing EXP details relevant to projects
- Apply risk management procedures to minimize EXP’s and client’s exposure to problems.
- Work with senior engineers, PM and client to meet scheduled milestones on multiple projects.
- Understand work planning and manage design process to the available hours in the work plan.
- Respond to RFI’s for the project, and accurately review submittal with limited input from senior staff.
- Manage and deliver revisions (ASI’s, etc) and sketches according to proper numbering convention
- Inspect installation of systems for completeness and operability.
- Solve installation problems with low voltage electrical systems, travel to site to resolve issues.
Here's What You'll Need:
Preferably Bachelor of Science in Architecture or Engineering discipline from an accredited school, or equivalent experience.
- Minimum of five years design experience of Healthcare, Science/Technology or Hospitality projects.
- BICSI RCDD certification preferred.
- Ability to travel to client meetings and project sites for walk thru activities (local and national locations)
- Ability to work virtually cross-office geographies with multiple teams
- Working knowledge of Revit, CAD and Navisworks design software platform
- Proficient in Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, TEAMS, OneNote, and Access
- Proficient in Bluebeam
- Well versed in virtual collaboration systems such as Teams, WebEx, GoToMeeting, Zoom, etc.
Jacobs. A world where you can.
From our inclusive employee networks to our positive mental health champions – we’re committed to driving a culture of caring where you can be you. Joining Jacobs not only connects you locally but globally - and together, our diverse perspectives and unique backgrounds power our collective strength. We collaborate and share! By supporting one another, we all succeed.
With safety and flexibility always top of mind, we’ve gone beyond traditional ways of working so you have the support, means and space to maximise your potential. You’ll uncover flexible working arrangements, benefits and opportunities to do good too – from participating in our global giving and volunteering program, to exploring new and inventive ways to help our clients make the world a better place. No matter what drives you, you’ll discover how you can cultivate, nurture and achieve your goals – all at a single global company.
Start your Jacobs career with a company that inspires and empowers you to deliver your best work so you can evolve, grow and succeed – today and into tomorrow.