Dynamic, high-energy, highly effective and engaging Sales and Business Development Leader with a strong foundation in sales management and deep industry experience and proven track record for selling large, complex outcome-based solutions as a service offering. The Sales Manager will support the Sales Leader to drive customer solutions that lead to deal closure and the development of new products and offerings for Johnson Controls.We are seeking a high achieving, proactive leader who is self-directed, internally motivated and operates with personal integrity.
- Adding customer equity by creating valued business partnerships with c-suite customers; proactively identifying business opportunities for the customer; conveying a firm understanding of the customer’s business and political drivers.
- Developing strategic solutions for customers that appropriately consider available facts, constraints, competitive circumstances, strategic priorities, and probable consequences; clearly connecting solutions to business needs
- Provides significant industry expertise and client business acumen. Sells higher level services to the customer, enabling competitive advantage for them in the marketplace. Provides thought leadership and capitalizes on cumulative industry, product, and company-specific experiences. Captures best practices and advises and facilitates the management and movement of information.
- Using one’s knowledge of economic, financial, market, and industry trends to understand and improve customer results; using one’s understanding of major business functions, industry trends, and own organization’s position to contribute to effective business strategies and/or tactics.
- Sells, with minimal supervision, the JCI offerings persuasively, persistently and confidently to building owners and owner representatives at the C-level while reaching optimal profit levels. Particularly focusing on selling performance contracting while ensuring that we achieve maximize share of customers business.
- Meet or exceed secured volume target
- Meet or exceed pipeline target
- Focuses on demonstrating value at the executive level by providing solutions to business and financial challenges as well as working through gateways to achieve joint planning status. Sells, renews and expands renewable service agreements, including multi-year agreements, to both new and existing customer.
- Builds partnering relationships with the economic buyer, owner or owner representatives responsible for the decision making process to drive the solution sales of JCI offerings. Manages ongoing sales process, develops relationship, responds to and anticipates customer needs. Actively listens, probes and identifies concerns.
- Understands the customer's business and speaks their language.
- Demonstrates financial and business acumen to develop credibility, loyalty, trust and commitment.
- Seeks out, targets and initiates contact with prospective customers.
- Develops network of contacts. Understands and leverages sales process checkpoints as well as demonstrates evidence of gaining small trial closes and commitments. Qualifies and assesses potential customers. Refers leads to other business segments.
- Addresses customer's financial, business, operational and environmental objectives, needs and requirements.
- Recommends solutions that match the customer’s business and financial challenges. Differentiates JCI services and products from competitors based on business benefits and knowledge of competitor’s business strategies.
- Maximizes assigned Project Development Engineering resources effectively and efficiently. Ensures the customer and JCI receive maximum value from dedicated and assigned resources. Engages appropriate sales support resources determined by the JCI sales and business process, including COE (construction management services), energy and operational engineering and technical support, financial and legal resources, etc.
- Effectively writes, presents and communicates proposals. Secures major opportunities through the use of financial agreements.
- Negotiates value, addresses resistance when demonstrated, and closes the sale.
- Utilizes applicable sales tools effectively (Salesforce, Account Management, Account Plan and TAS) to plan and document progress as well as increase business opportunity in accounts. Leverages JCI sales process monthly checkpoints to gain progressive commitments from the customer.
- Manages the sales process steps of the pipeline with a focus on completing the Opportunity Action plan and meeting the milestones in the customer’s buying process.
- Leads the sales team by building and fostering team relationships to ensure customer satisfaction.
- Solicits support from and communicates effectively with internal staff. Develops relationship with Systems and Service sales organization to exceed customers' expectations.
- Owns and facilitates the customer relationship particularly when selling Performance Contracting initiatives.
- Acts as the customer’s advocate in interactions with the JCI organization to ensure the customer obtains the best value from the JCI offerings.
- Sets appropriate customer expectations on JCI product and service offerings. Participates in final project inspection. Ensures that the customer is trained and oriented to system operation or the value of services delivered.
- Assists in the development of the team or Area Office Solution sales and marketing plans and strategies. Aides in the implementation of these strategies and action plans.
- Targets new customers based on vertical market strategies.
- Keeps management informed of progress and account status.
- Knows when to call for assistance from upper management to keep the sales process moving.
- Attends and presents at trade show. Participates in professional organizations.
Degree in Business, Sales, Marketing or Engineering
Knowledge and experience:
5+ years sales experience in complex sales in a matrixed environment
Extensive experience selling to C-suite and negotiating large, financial and complex deal structures
Experience in energy efficiency and sustainability
Experience in commercial and industrial industries preferred
Experience in innovative and sales of new offerings preferred
- Knows how to sell and understand the energy efficiency & sustainability industry
- Knowledgeable in current and possible future policies, practices, trends and information affecting his/her business and organization
- Is aware of how strategies and tactics work in the marketplace.
- Acts with customer and business success in mind
- Establishes and maintains effective relationships with customers and team members and gains their trust and respect
Drive for Results
- Can be accounted on to exceed goals successfully
- Is constantly and consistently one of the top performers
- Action oriented and timely in guidance and actions
- Very bottom-line oriented
- Steadfastly pushes self and others for results
- Sees ahead clearly
- Can anticipate future consequences and trends accurately
- Has broad knowledge and perspective
- Is future oriented
- Can articulately paint credible pictures and visions of possibilities and likelihoods
- Can create competitive and breakthrough strategies and plans
Managing Vision and Purpose
- Communicates a compelling and inspired vision or sense of core purpose
- Talks beyond today
- Talks about possibilities
- Is optimistic
- Creates mileposts and symbols to rally support behind the vision
- Makes the vision shareable by everyone
- Can inspire and motivate entire units or organisations
- Enjoys working hard
- Is action oriented
- Drives for action and “closes the loop” in discussions
- Knows how to plan and execute negotiations and is skilled in facilitating teams to develop these strategies
- Can negotiate skill-fully in tough situations with both internal and external groups
- Can settle differences with minimum noise; can win concessions without damaging relationships
- Can be both direct and forceful as well as diplomatic
- Gains trust quickly of other parties to the negotiations
- Has a good sense of timing
- Knowledgeable about how organisations work and their culture.
- Knows how to get things done both through formal channels and the informal network
- Understands the origin and reasoning behind key policies, practices and procedures.
- Can co-ordinate resources (people, funding, material, support) to drive towards established goals and be able to establish goals for the business.
- Can orchestrate multiple activities at once to accomplish a goal.
- Uses resources effectively and efficiently understanding the drivers of project management.
- Is effective in a variety of formal presentation settings: one-on-one, small and large groups, with peers, direct reports and bosses.
- Is effective both inside and outside the organization, on both cool data and hot and controversial topics.
- Commands attention and can manage group process during the presentation
- Can change tactics midstream when something isn’t working
- Is able to write clearly and succinctly in a variety of communication settings and styles.
- Can get messages across that have the desired effect.