Position Purpose & Summary
Regional Trade Compliance Manager is responsible to identify, document, and capture compliance of complex and demanding activities with high requirements of service for a region using extensive and detailed trade compliance knowledge. Collaborate with relevant functional Centre of Excellent(COE) leads to develop goals and objectives that share mutual outcomes for the benefit of the business. Develop and implement trade compliance operations strategies and standard processes to achieve trade compliance goals and objectives for regional cross border activity.
The position will lead regional trade compliance team and have accountability for all trade compliance activity in the region, including developing and maintaining relationships with both internal and external stakeholders. Managing the processes, and a continuous improvement mindset is required.
Duties: 40% Regional Trade compliance strategy, procedure, identification, develop and implementation
• Accountable to develop trade compliance operations strategy, implement and maintain trade compliance standards and best practice processes to operationalize corporate policies and risk control frameworks to comply with applicable global/regional/local laws and regulations including those administered by the participating government agencies.
• Responsible for trade compliance activity in the region as defined in the Global Trade Operations & Compliance (GTOC) taxonomy
• Approves and makes decisions on complex issues in the region to resolve trade compliance operations barriers while minimizing risk in consultation with relevant COE’s.
• Develop, implement, and enhance, global or regional trade compliance operations management systems, and processes with a view to harmonize and align globally/regionally for optimal efficiency.
• Identify and document trade compliance operations opportunities and gaps in procedures, partnering with relevant functional COE's as appropriate. Develop departmental strategies and procedures based upon best practices. Oversee implementation and training
• Ensure appropriate recordkeeping and due diligence procedures in accordance with all governing regulatory requirements and Cargill functional requirements.
• Partner with GTOC country lead/team and Global Custom Advisory(GCA) to manage regional customs broker operations relationship, including the use of key performance indicators(KPI) and regular internal report.
• Develop a relationship with governmental agencies in the respective region, in cooperation with appropriate functions and brokers, facilitating a free flow of goods through the borders.
• Provide guidance to the businesses and regional or local team on trade compliance operations requirements, data and documentation to facilitate imports and exports consistent with risk-based guidance from relevant corporate functions.
Duties: 30% Program management, monitoring and training
• Oversee the execution of global trade compliance operations review for the activities managed by the GTOC team, and/or pre/post transactional audits and trade data to ensure data integrity, adherence to processes, control effectiveness and compliant performance. Ensure corporate functions' recommendations, corrective actions and process improvements are implemented, monitored and communicated accordingly.
• Direct and oversee the development of regular import and export compliance training for business, purchasing, receiving, shipping, sales and marketing and other departments involved in import and export activities in accordance with the respective functional COE’s
• Develop metrics to measure & report accomplishments and the value that returns to the Business stakeholders.
• Lead projects and initiatives for multiple/cross enterprise/business groups and/or countries
• Review and/or Develop and implement new or changing trade flow SOPS and processes in partnership with the relevant COE’s
• Process efficiency improvements that benefits the business and/or the Global Trade Compliance(GTC) organization
Duties: 15% Client interaction and business partner
• Manages all aspects for regional trade compliance activities
• Develops and monitors implementation of trade compliance operations strategy for the regional organization
• Coordinates the regional trade compliance efforts in support of enterprise, business and functional business plans that span across the company global or regionally
• Provides assurance of achievement of control for trade compliance operations for the region, including oversight for adherence to department compliance procedures, collection of trade data and the compilation of KPIs to support risk management objectives of the functional COE's
• Reviews and monitors KPI’s ensuring accuracy of reporting to internal and external parties.
• Works closely with cross functional commercial management, sales, supply chain and customers to develop cross border solutions
Duties: 15% People Management
• Responsible for people management in compliance, including recruiting, retention, development and engagement
• Manages and provides coaching to direct reports, including coaching to Cargill’s values
• Participates in selection of compliance team members, plans for future workforce needs
• Accountable for performance management, talent development, succession planning & direct report engagement
Qualifications Education, Experience, Skills
Minimum Required Qualifications
• University Degree or Equivalent (+/- 10 years)
• Minimum 6-8 years Trade Compliance Experience
• Minimum 3-5 years Leadership experience
• Local language(s) in addition to English
• Communicate effectively and ability to influence across the organization and with external stakeholders
• Developing and leading high performing work teams including focus on continuous improvement
• Result driven performance, advanced critical thinking and problem-solving skills
• Managing in a complex environment with multiple stakeholders and Ability to manage ambiguous situations
• Talent selection, development and engagement
• Technical trade compliance knowledge
• Working experience on APAC(mainly Southeast Asia countries) import and export customs regulations, including Participating Government Agencies (PGA), and Free Trade Agreement (FTA) , duty draw back and Free Trade Zone operations is a plus.
• Demonstrated ability to use current processes, standards / technologies, as well as create new solutions to meet business needs
• Ability to manage multiple priorities within a service environment
• Demonstrated commitment to uphold internal controls.
• Trade related specialization/ license/ certification (Broker’s license, etc.)
• Experience building a new business or organization
• SAP and GTS functional and/or technical experience
• Knowledge of international supply chain
• Ability to translate business process requirements into process, data and technology solutions