Equinix is the world’s digital infrastructure company, operating 200+ data centers across the globe and providing interconnections to all the key clouds and networks. Businesses need one place to simplify and bring together fragmented, complex infrastructure that spans private and public cloud environments. Our global platform allows customers to place infrastructure wherever they need it and connect it to everything they need to succeed.
We are a fast-growing global company with 70+ consecutive quarters of growth. Through our innovative portfolio of high-performance products and services, we have created the largest, most active global ecosystem of nearly 10,000 companies, including 1,800+ networks and 2,900+ cloud and IT service providers in over 26 countries spanning five continents.
A career at Equinix means you will collaborate on work that impacts the world and be surrounded by endless opportunities to learn new skills and grow in varied directions. We embrace diversity in thought and contribution and are committed to providing an equitable work environment. that is foundational to our core values as a company and is vital to our success.
We are more than a legal team protecting Equinix’s interests. We are valued business partners, known as responsive, consistent and proactive. We take customer service seriously and strive for excellence in our execution. Our strong relationships with our internal and external clients, fueled by our solution-driven orientation and creative yet practical advice, bring us to the table “early and often” and lead to interesting and rewarding work directly in support of Equinix’s strategy. At Equinix, we are proud to be recognized as one of the Top 100 Places to Work for 2021 by Glassdoor. We are also proud to rank among the top JUST100 companies in the U.S. stock market on environmental, social and governance metrics.
The One Legal team at Equinix is seeking a Senior Manager, Public Policy. This is an exciting opportunity for an experienced candidate to help build our public policy agenda and then interact with political and policy leaders and government officials to explain our products and services and promote the growth of internet infrastructure.
The successful candidate will provide leadership in the following key areas:
- Identify emerging public policy issues related to the Company’s mid- and long-term business plans and develop internal and external policy positions, strategies and analysis to influence the external landscape and advance the Company’s business priorities.
- Participate in the development of the Company’s public policy agenda through regular meetings and ongoing communications with the Company’s senior leadership team.
- Develop strong working relationships with the Company’s country Managing Directors (MDs) across the region. Support the MDs on policy issue development, messaging, trade association and coalition relationships, and policy maker engagement. Assure consistency of messaging and policy positioning across entire region.
- Develop strong working relationships with the Company’s global and regional functions on Sustainability, Legal Regulatory, Operations, Communications, Business Development and other key functions in order to assure cross-functional alignment and leverage.
- Identify and recommend alignment of the Company’s activities and priorities to intersect with evolving public policy trends.
- Contribute to internal processes for handling public policy matters that arise on an emergency or unexpected basis so that the Company is prepared to respond in such cases.
- Help manage day-to-day portfolio of the Company’s public policy agenda at various levels of government and in various regions where the Company maintains a physical presence and where the Company does business. Participate in and advocate for public policy coalitions and trade associations aligned with the Company’s public policy agenda. Serve as a key point of contact for the Company’s participation and/or support the participation of Company senior executives in those organizations.
- Develop working relationships with key policy makers and regulators and their staffs to effectively advocate the Company’s public policy agenda.
- Participate in government public consultation exercises and work on public policy submissions (including those on regulatory initiatives and/or developments) directly with governments or via public policy coalitions and trade associations.
Education and Training
- Develop internal resources to educate employees about the Company’s public policy agenda.
- Work with the Company’s public relations team and others to develop a robust set of materials that:
- Educate policymakers about the Company’s business objectives, its importance to the foundational operations of the Internet, and its plans for future growth.
- Position the Company as a thought leader on central issues of importance to the Company.
- Emphasize the positive economic and cultural benefits of the Company’s global growth.
- Promote the Company’s commitment to sustainability and advocate for the opportunities digital transformation and the move to cloud and colocation have for efficiency and sustainability progress.
- Promote the Company’s commitment to Diversity, Inclusion and Belonging (DIB) to develop a diverse, empowered, and effective workforce in order to address the needs of our communities.
- 5+ years of experience in government relations or public policy positions; prior service in government legislative/regulatory bodies a plus.
- Bachelor’s degree; law or master’s degree a plus.
- Exposure to policy issues in the areas of:
- Technology and the Internet;
- Cybersecurity and data privacy;
- Energy, environment, sustainability, circular economy policies, principles and corporate frameworks;
- Government procurement policy; and
- National and local Tax Policy.
- Demonstrated high level of integrity, thoroughness, flexibility, initiative and teamwork.
- Demonstrated self-guided initiative.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and interpersonal communication skills.
- Excellent judgment.
- Expectation for regular travel within the region to locations where Equinix has a presence. Periodic travel to Company headquarters and Washington, DC as required.