Equinix is the world’s digital infrastructure company, operating 200+ data centers across the globe and providing interconnections to all the key clouds and networks. Businesses need one place to simplify and bring together fragmented, complex infrastructure that spans private and public cloud environments. Our global platform allows customers to place infrastructure wherever they need it and connect it to everything they need to succeed.
We are a fast-growing global company with 70+ consecutive quarters of growth. Through our innovative portfolio of high-performance products and services, we have created the largest, most active global ecosystem of nearly 10,000 companies, including 1,800+ networks and 2,900+ cloud and IT service providers in over 26 countries spanning five continents.
A career at Equinix means you will collaborate on work that impacts the world and be surrounded by endless opportunities to learn new skills and grow in varied directions. We embrace diversity in thought and contribution and are committed to providing an equitable work environment. that is foundational to our core values as a company and is vital to our success.
Reporting to the APAC President, the Country Managing Director (MD) will oversee and grow the China business. The role will be responsible for defining strategic vision and leading the team in execution in China. The candidate will provide a strong network of decision maker contacts amongst prospects, customers and partners with ability to provide thought leadership to accelerate new business and revenue growth. The candidate will deliver on the Magic of Equinix; cultural values to employees and continue to attract top talent to our expanding operations in the country. This role will be based in Shanghai.
Lead the team
- Provide inspirational leadership of the country team to deliver Equinix strategic goals whilst securing high employee satisfaction and strong engagement of the team.
- Be the local custodian of the Equinix culture and values.
- Build a high performing team through the appointment of top-caliber executives and continuous leadership development
- Partner and collaborate with key functional stakeholders globally to deliver Equinix solutions in China
- Drive the market development for China.
- Responsibility, within a matrix structure for the country business across sales, engineering, operations, customer success, marketing, commercial finance and HR.
- Influence Equinix strategic decisions and execution in country and across region.
- Represent Equinix to customers, analysts, government bodies, etc.
- Manage and develop relationships with Joint Venture (JV) partner in Shanghai DG IT
- Sell the platform/evolve the business
- Support sales execution to maximize platform effect and advise on complex deals.
- Develop and execute the country strategy including maximizing the global opportunity for Equinix within the country market, including building/driving cross-border business opportunities, exploring new market segments, driving platform-based selling and anticipating industry trends.
- Achieve regional financial targets and ensure alignment of China business
- Monitoring local P&L and developing action plans with the relevant teams.
- Develop and drive Equinix’s expansion plans in both existing and new markets within the country in co-operation with the APAC Corporate Development team.
- Contribute strategically to growth and direction of Equinix products and services. Grow penetration into key accounts and develop effective strategies for winning in a competitive environment.
- Working with regional and country functional leads, build/agree annual, quarterly, and monthly plans for business growth, go-to-market, adoption, and thought leadership.
- Involvement in global products/projects/programs - influence Equinix strategic decisions and execution
- Involvement in global change initiatives and products/projects/programs from concept to delivery
- Contribute to the development of Equinix’s strategy in APAC and globally by representing the specific market requirements of the country within the company.
- Ensure new product launches are successfully communicated to the local market and contribute to the global product development process as required.
- Serve as primary spokesperson and evangelist for Equinix in the country
- Carry out all statutory obligations of Equinix, including government relations
- Play an active role as the country representative on the APAC leadership team
- Ability to determine and present clear strategic direction for the China market with the emphasis on enterprise/retail business through channel partnership.
- Proven ability to see the ‘bigger long-term picture’ and think strategically while achieving short-term results.
Executing for results
- Focus on execution and results – establishing high standards for performance, setting goals and developing plans, following through, and holding people accountable for results.
- Driven, self-starting style with the impetus for growth and commercial success.
- Comfortable with ambiguity and uncertainty; ability to adapt nimbly and lead others through complex situations.
- A leader who is viewed by others as having impeccable integrity and forethought in their approach to making decisions; the ability to act transparently and consistently while considering what is best for the organization.
- Evidence of ability to lead, inspire and develop teams to achieve their full potential – a role model and senior advisor. Inclusive team leadership with natural authority and proven ability to lead in a global environment.
- Ability to attract and recruit top talent, motivate team, delegate effectively, celebrate diversity within team, and manage performance; widely viewed as a strong developer of others.
Relationships and Influence
- Well respected in the market; senior, highly mature, highly self-aware individual with strong long-term perspective.
- Charismatic and collaborative leader with outstanding interpersonal and listening skills and proven ability and credibility to influence at all levels internally and externally.
- Ability to build and develop relationships at all levels, including working collaboratively on business initiatives across functions such as customer success, HR, finance, marketing.
- Naturally connects and builds strong relationships with others, demonstrating strong emotional intelligence and an ability to communicate clearly and persuasively.
Knowledge, experience and cultural fit
- Extensive demonstrated track record in general management as a MD or enterprise sales leader.
- Proven and entrepreneurial General Manager with previous P&L responsibility, and ideally with experience gained at a US technology company.
- Knowledge of the business challenges facing enterprise executives that are driving needs for interconnection services.
- Experience of establishing and scaling direct enterprise sales and partner models.
- Experience of selling to a whole spectrum of industries including network and mobile providers, cloud and IT services, content providers, financial services, automotive etc.
- Experience with recurring revenue, sales complexity, solution selling, readying platforms for B2B.
- Proactive, collaborative and able to work comfortably in a non-hierarchical context.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Strong academic background in a relevant discipline. An MBA is an advantage.
This Job Description is not intended to be all-inclusive. The employee may perform other related duties to meet the ongoing organizational needs.
Equinix is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.