Based in Singapore, the primary responsibility of this role will be to manage and deal with legal matters for the DuPont group in the ASEAN countries. The successful applicant will support legal matters related to commercial and financial activities, M&A transactions, litigation, non-patent related intellectual property, labor and employment, etc. She/he will also work with the Ethics & Compliance team to ensure that the company complies with all laws and regulations, and will have related involvement in risk management.
- Act as point of contact for the corporate secretarial service provider and custodian of all required official corporate documents, reports and records according to applicable laws and regulations.
- Manage correspondence regarding corporate governance when necessary. If situation requires, coordination of board and shareholder meetings and the preparation of all necessary agendas and documents required for the meetings.
- Operate as a strategic partner, predicting legal complexities and proactively managing issues in support of business strategy. Through broad understanding of the business drivers provide insight on legal enablers and blockers to commercial advantage;
- Provide legal support to M&A transactions, including acquisitions and divestitures.
- Negotiate with third parties agreements of a complex nature and of significant financial and/or strategic value to the Company.
- Effectively coordinate with other in-house Legal resources, external counsels and business management / functions for management of legal cases & seeking opinions.
- Assist in providing counsel and solutions to protecting company intellectual property assets.
- Write, review and analyze various contracts, issue/organize power of attorneys for effective management of legal and compliance processes, prepare legal pleadings, draft and file responses to legal notices, review opinions and other legal documents.
- Monitor and propose action in relation to legislative and other legal changes affecting the businesses, with a view to mitigating threats and creating opportunities. Represent and advocate the Company’s interest with government agencies and officials.
- Actively operate as the custodian of ethical standards of doing business exercising sound judgment in applying these principles. Advise on development and dissemination of compliance policies that will ensure that the company is in compliance with all laws, regulations and rules that may apply to the company’s activities in the different markets; specifically work to ensure compliance rules and regulations, the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, foreign trade rules and regulations, environmental and corporate conduct laws, regulations and rules.
- Select and instruct outside legal counsel and other professional advisers as necessary and manage associated costs
- Develop a strong legal function which partners with the business and acts quickly and proactively
The Counsel must be an experienced attorney with the legal background and skills sufficient to function successfully in a visible and legally challenging position. The following background is strongly preferred:
- A track record in managing compliance issues and the possible adoption of new laws or regulations;
- Familiarity with corporate governance and financing structures and documentation
- Transactional experience negotiating M&A transactions as well as joint ventures, and strategic alliances, commercial transactions;
- Experience managing litigation and assessing legal risk in difficult situations, such as a matter of acute time pressure and/or an issue of great materiality;
- Strong academic and professional qualifications. Admission as a legal practitioner in Singapore or ASEAN jurisdiction is essential.