The British Government is an inclusive and diversity-friendly employer. We value difference, promote equality and challenge discrimination, enhancing our organisational capability. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, colour, ethnicity, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or other category protected by law. We promote family-friendly flexible working opportunities, where operational and security needs allow.
Head of Corporate Services - Singapore
To provide strategic direction to corporate services; leading an efficient, cost effective and professional team to deliver all services to the partners (from across the UK government) on the platform provided by the British High Commission Singapore (BHC).
As the driving force for corporate delivery, the jobholder will be a core member of the senior leadership team and management board providing corporate, financial and local insight to inform decision making.
Reporting to the Regional Corporate Services Lead, this role will lead and develop a diverse team of 10 corporate staff, with oversight of outsourced service providers.
This role is part of a pilot to deliver corporate services (finance, HR, estates, protocol) within a functional model, as such the successful candidate will demonstrate a flexible approach to being part of an evolving project.
Strategic Planning and Leadership 30%
- To provide strategic leadership and planning in support of the corporate agenda including the country business plan and risk management.
- Act as trusted advisor to local leadership and partners on the platform ‘horizon scanning’ locally to enable proactive resource and activity planning with the Regional Corporate Services Lead.
- Manage the platform (currently supporting 14 partners) and support regional teams, influencing at a senior level to maintain and strengthen inclusiveness.
- Actively build and deepen relationships with key stakeholders internally, within regional and global hubs and with external partners (at other diplomatic missions, government departments and suppliers) to maintain informed and current corporate knowledge.
- Ensure local policies are reviewed and aligned to global and local requirement and adopted by all partners on the platform.
- Lead and monitor the delivery of services against the local corporate services charter.
- Lead on the overall employer proposition, including terms and conditions of service and pay and benefits for locally employed staff (LS), ensuring compliance with local labour law.
- Provide guidance and act as an escalation point on sensitive staff matters for diplomatic and LS, including management issues and dispute resolution, engaging with specialist HR functions where necessary.
- Champion and embed a collaborative and inclusive culture.
- Oversee corporate delivery working closely with the regional HR, finance and procurement hubs and the Global Processing Transaction Centre (GTPC). Ensure full use of self-service access to corporate services and regionalised services.
- Direct the management of the estate, ensuring that UK and local standards are met through planned and reactive maintenance and in compliance with corporate procedures, including local and UK health and safety regulations and policy.
- Act as the ‘intelligent client’, identifying requirements, appropriate service level agreements and key performance indicators to manage and monitor supplier contracts.
- Oversee the local delegated budget in accordance with corporate policies to ensure on-budget expenditure and value for money.
- Instil a continuous improvement mentality within the team, leading on corporate projects and the change management required to deliver them.
- Respond to operational crisis, providing leadership and flexing team prioritisation as required.
- Ensure cross training within corporate services roles to provide resilience within the teams and across the region.
- Work with the Regional Corporate Services Lead to plan long term resource and development needs.
- Ensure wellbeing and engagement are maintained within the corporate services team, seeking regular feedback and embedding the values of resilience and respect.
Income Generation 5%
- Lead and implement the BHC's income generation policy and processes.
Essential qualifications, skills and experience:
- Middle management experience working for international organisation, preferably with direct involvement in HR and /or Finance policy and implementation
- Experience in managing cross functional teams
- High levels of discretion, with a resilient, flexible and ‘can do’ attitude
- Able to challenge and influence senior stakeholders
- Experience in managing suppliers and outsourced service delivery
Only applications made through the FCO Tal Net system will be accepted, please apply directly here.