Equinix is the world’s digital infrastructure company, operating 200+ data centers across the globe and providing interconnections to all the key clouds and networks. Businesses need one place to simplify and bring together fragmented, complex infrastructure that spans private and public cloud environments. Our global platform allows customers to place infrastructure wherever they need it and connect it to everything they need to succeed.
We are a fast-growing global company with 70+ consecutive quarters of growth. Through our innovative portfolio of high-performance products and services, we have created the largest, most active global ecosystem of nearly 10,000 companies, including 1,800+ networks and 2,900+ cloud and IT service providers in over 26 countries spanning five continents.
Joining our operations team means that you will be at the forefront of all we do, maintaining critical facilities infrastructure as part of a close-knit team delivering best in class service to our data center customers. We embrace diversity in thought and contribution and are committed to providing an equitable work environment. that is foundational to our core values as a company and is vital to our success.
Job Profile Summary
The Director, Design Delivery leads a team of multi-disciplinary engineers and architects and is responsible for a portfolio of datacenter projects within a sub-region or global sub-function. These projects can include: new construction, phased expansion, retrofits and upgrades, acquisition conversions, and mechanical and electrical equipment selections. They are an industry recognized leader on datacenter design and an experienced team leader. The Director, Design critically assesses design decisions across disciplines and applies required Equinix standards and country specific regulations to make the best design choices for their assigned sub-region. They manage and provide guidance to more junior staff on the relationship and output of key design partners and equipment suppliers for their assigned projects and lead the relationship management with such partners.
- Manages a team of multi-disciplinary design project staff to manage and deliver a portfolio of world-class datacenter designs on time and to budget
- Effectively communicates with internal technical staff and external design consulting partners to ensure designs meet Equinix’s Global Design Standards
- Mentors those that work for them or in related design delivery teams to ensure the design delivery function grows in line with the Company's needs and continues to lead the industry
- Ensures proper execution of the design process and interacts with key consulting and construction partners to deliver world class datacenters with a strong focus on cost management
- Acts as a key stakeholder in the decisions about the choice of design partners and for individual assignment to projects
- Manages internal and external resources by way of their influence, outstanding interpersonal skills and industry-recognized competencies
- Works cross-functionally to ensure accurate tracking of all design construction projects from inception, due diligence, Basis of Design (BOD) creation, and Real Estate Investment Committee (REIC) presentation through to successful close-out, with specific focus on the on-time delivery of their department's outputs
- Maintains positive relationships with design partners and subcontractors to ensure transparency, high quality and on-time delivery of projects meeting Equinix's design standards
- Works closely with Asset Management, Real Estate, Construction, and Capacity Management to manage the overall design portfolio, ensuring projects are prioritized to meet commercial requirements and deliver on-time technically exemplary designs consistent with our global design standards
- Manages the complete portfolio of assigned design works within the sub-region or global sub-function
- Manages the allocation of projects to staff members based on skills and the needs of the portfolio
- Responsible for the management of departmental schedules for assigned projects to ensure on time creation and review of BODs, REIC Submissions, and design documentation as needed
In the Regional role:
- Reviews design budgets, with the aid of the commercial management team, and controls change management requests during the construction phase in consultation with the Construction Manager and Center of Excellence staffs
In the Center of Excellence function:
- Ensures designs are compliant with Global Design Standards while incorporating the most cost effect approach for the local market ensuring the maximum amount of standard design
In the Regional role:
- Keeps abreast of advancements in design being investigated by the Center of Excellence departments to ensure technologies support future IBX design and construction needs and meet the evolving needs of the customer
In the Center of Excellence role:
- Executes against a development roadmap which aligns with an evolution in need and global design standards
- 7+ years management experience preferred
- 10+ years experience in a Design MEP Firm or in the design team of a Mission Critical Building operator or subcontractor, OR 10+ years experience as an Architectural lead in a Mission Critical Architectural Design Practice preferred
- MSc in Electrical or Mechanical Engineering OR MSc in Architecture is preferred, BSc acceptable or extensive and demonstrable experience in role, Architects to hold RA or AIA
- PE desirable but not essential